Top 10 Miraculous Foods with Antioxidants
Courtesy Of: healthcave.com
All your life you heard your mother tell you to eat your vegetables, but did we listen? Some of us did, some of us did not. As we age our body craves more and more good food to maintain its energy and we are trying to find out what is best for our bodies. Eating good whole foods will help with the battle of many diseases and gets us to feel better. Listed below are ten miraculous foods with antioxidants.
1. Berries – all kinds, any kind will do. Raspberries, blackberries and blueberries are full of proanthocyanidins; antioxidants that help prevent many types of cancers and heart disease. Strawberries, blackberries and raspberries have a plant compound called ellagic acid, and it battles carcinogens (causes cancer.) A good way to eat strawberries is to put them into low fat vanilla yogurt; slice strawberries and add a bit of honey, black pepper and balsamic vinegar. Try blueberries in a salad or add a touch of cinnamon.
2. Broccoli – One of the better vegetables to consume is known to help prevent cancer and keep heart disease at bay. Others would include cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, bok choy and kale, just to name a few. These contain a compound called indole 3 carbonyl (I3C-an antioxidant that helps break down estrogen.) Broccoli has been known to help fight cervical dysplasia, a precancerous milady. Steam some broccoli and add a few dried onions and a bit of lemon juice.
3. Almonds – These pretty little nuts adds a good source of proteins. They have the good monounsaturated fat, good for lowering blood cholesterol levels. Most nuts are good for you, so try a handful as a snack.
4. Apples – Those sweet delicious juicy fruits that mom always said to eat. Or the old adage, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” still holds true. The pectin a soluble fiber helps lower the blood cholesterol and glucose levers. They are also loaded with vitamin C, a good antioxidant that protects the body’s cells from damage. Apples will keep your blood healthy and helps soak up iron.
5. Red Beans – is another source of the ten miraculous antioxidant foods. Including most beans, white (or navy), dark red beans, black beans; these lentils are packed with iron, magnesium, potassium, copper, thiamin and phosphorus. They also have protein and fiber, a good source for low fat, low calorie meals or just for a snack. Some say red beans can help prevent chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Put a pot of dried beans on the stove, cover with water and let them soak overnight. Add fresh water and spices and cook until tender. Or try putting them in the crock pot. Red beans are an excellent side dish.
6. Honey – One of nature’s natural sweetest treats. The Greeks used honey for its remarkable anti-bacterial, anti-viral wound healing salves. It is a golden rich flavored antioxidant. It has such minerals as iodine, sulfur, manganese and potassium to mention a few. Found in honey are some vitamins such as E; D; C and K. And the list goes on. Honey is not just for ingesting, it also has many therapeutic results on the body. It is used for an expectorant, it might help to prevent some cancers, it is used as an antiseptic and the list goes on. There are a lot of people that will not eat honey no matter what is told to them because they think it so high in calories. Not so. Just a teaspoon of a good quality honey has only about thirty calories. It can be converted easily into energy, so there will not be any calories stored.
7. Sweet Potatoes – is a wonderful miraculous antioxidant food. It contains beta carotene, which is converted into vitamin A slowing down the aging process and the risk of getting some cancers. Sweet potatoes have a lot of fiber, foliate and potassium, not to mention vitamins B-6; C and E. They are fat free and very low in calories. A small sweet potato has about fifty calories. Of course when you start to add the butter the calories go up. Still they are one of the lowest calorie foods out there. Try fixing them like regular mashed potatoes or maybe just bake them.
8. Spinach – Popeye the Sailor man comes to mind with spinach. He always ate his spinach and was very strong and healthy. Spinach is full of riboflavin, vitamin B-6, and calcium and iron one of the best 10 miraculous foods with antioxidants. The compounds found in spinach may heighten your immune system. It is known to keep the hair and skin pretty and healthy. So eat your spinach like Popeye did. Although many people do not care for spinach, it is wonderful in fresh salads in place of head lettuce or cooked with a cream sauce.
9. Salmon – known for its superb source of omega-3 fatty acid, is one of the top ten miraculous antioxidant foods. Salmon has the good fat as it helps makes the blood less likely to form clots, causing heart attacks. Salmon can also help with preventing sudden heart attacks, lessen the growth of artery plaque; and lower the blood pressure. Baked or grilled, fresh salmon with a little lemon juice is just about the best way to fix it.
10. Whole Grains – are another top 10 miraculous foods with antioxidants, as long as they are whole grain. Whole grains that have Vitamin E can prevent prostate cancer in men. It has also has been noted by the some of the medical field that whole grains can slow down the development of Alzheimer’s disease. They also have phytic acid, also known as IP6; an antioxidant that help guards against liver and colon cancer not to mention breast cancer.
As our bodies grow older they seem to collect diseases and sometimes just give out. Too many pollutants and harmful chemicals play mayhem with our bodies. We live in a world now that every time we turn around, free radicals are attacking us.
Top 10 miraculous foods with antioxidants are aplenty. Listed is just a small list of what can help with the body fighting off certain cancers and help with the overall health of the body.
Do not be fooled by all the hype out there about antioxidant drinks, the flushing of the colons and over the counter pills that cures all. They all state they will make you healthy and you do not have to do another thing to keep your body running smoothly. Not so, the only way to keep the body running nicely and stay healthy is to eat the top ten miraculous antioxidant foods every day for the rest of your life. Be healthy.